Friday, September 5, 2008

Do you paint closets?

I do. If I had the time, that is. Because I believe in decorating spaces that my family sees all the time, so we can be happy and enjoy our home. If I had time, I would paint all the closets. But I don't have time for that yet. I did find the time to paint this little closet, though. Instead of doing laundry. You might say I was just finding a distraction from doing boring housework. That would be true. But this is a tiny space that the kiddos and I see every day. And it is dirty and boring. I think looking at builder-white-dirty-scuffed-up walls is depressing.

Anyway, last year we converted this closet for the kids to use for their backpacks and school papers. I cheated on this "before" picture because the "before" was really filled with books, papers, junk, trash, dirty socks, soccer balls, etc. So I decided to do a quick update on this depressing little closet. I went shopping for paint in my basement (The one and only time I forked over $$ for Benjamin Moore paint, I picked the wrong color. So this is what I ended up using it for.)

And the finished product:
I just happened to find these cute, lined baskets at Walgreens for $5 each! Even Walmart wasn't that cheap. I did get the green shelf liner from Walmart. A tag for owner of each shelf.



Wall pockets for library books. I didn't have time to be perfect on this project. Exhibit "A": Sometimes I don't patch holes or nail pops.
The long strip on the door is a backpack holder, and then I put a towel rack halfway down for jackets. It's low so short people can reach it too.
No staging going on here, folks. I just left that laundry in the background, because I'm too lazy to move it for my pictures. Actually, this is considered clean for my house.
How do you organize school junk?

18 comments:

Chris said...

Is it weird to say, "I love you"? Well, I do. That closet is spectacular. To be honest, my favorite parts are the little things--the green liner, the cute tags for each shelf, etc. What a great idea. I am totally stealing the wall pocket idea for library books. Love, love, love it.

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

I love it!!! I would love to paint all my closets too. I like the coat rack on the door - clever.

Bella Della said...

The closet is wonderful. I love the little labels.

Trish said...

Beautiful! I LOVE the idea with the cute little tags...such a simple thing, but yet special!

Christy said...

We have a closet that I would love to do this with. Right now, the closet has shelves stacked with pictures, boxes, a vacuum cleaner, and then the small space that is left is for the backpacks and soccer balls. Thanks for such a great idea!

Unknown said...

Hi,
The closet is great. Love your organization!

Scrapper Mom said...

I am impressed with that kind of organization. Usually my kids just bring in their backpacks and throw them in the floor until the next day!!

I love this idea.

cherry said...

I love it...very cool and organized...sigh I heart such organization. cherry

Katie said...

very nice
I love that you picked painting and organizing a closet over laundry- we can do laundry any day, right?
love the name tags for each shelf- I'm learning more and more that labeling really does help- so kuddos for that
and we love Walgreen's in this house too!

Amy said...

Great job on the closet makeover! I love the cute tags, too. The best part would be the ability to close the door on all of the school stuff that the children gather.

I've tagged you! Visit my blog, since you're it!

Martha said...

Oh Heath....

Just like your first poster, Chris, I'd like to say....I LOVE YOU MAAAAAAANNNN!!!

I've been thinking about closets an awful lot lately, so I'm lovin' this project.

xoxox,
martha

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love love those tags! That is so cute and fun! The book holder is great!

I agree about the closets but I do not paint the inside...mine are all cream no matter what the room color is... I guess that is not so good!

-Sandy Toes

Linda said...

I have never painted a closet or even gave it a second thought and after reading this post I am feeling somewhat guilty over this confession. :) You did a great job and I love all the little things you did to organize. I love organized closets, just don't like the process. :)
Blessings,
Linda

Darlene said...

I LOVE that closet space!! Those little tags are perfect....so simple but great!! What a great spot for all of your children's school "stuff".

Happy Harris said...

Thats one tidy closet, are your children tidy though! what will it look like in say a week from now...I have a boy 18 and a girl 15, my son lives his life with a trail of mess behind him...my daughter on the other hand is so tidy...love you blog, so glad to of found you.

Love Happy xx

SeaWorthy said...

Woot, Woot...all aboard the love train! Mrs J..youve really got it when it comes to the organizational skills (that I lack.) Inferior, Iam, at best..
Love the closet, girly!
Lisa
coastal nest

Southern Fried Gal said...

I paint closets because it's the easiest way to freshen them up. But I never thought of doing it to make them pretty! OH - I LOVE what you have done here! I will have to add this to the list of projects to copy!

p.s. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

great closet! Love it.
Also love those little pads for teachers. I'll have to look for those.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...