Thursday, June 26, 2008

Helloooo, is anyone out there?

You are, I know it. Because that is why you guys are such great friends. I've been lame, not posting, not commenting, not visiting. But you people will show up again like you always do. I love ya. My excuses? I started working (earning and not spending -- it's a great feeling), sports x 3 kids, 3 kids period, Mr. Jones MIA at work, vacation, PTO over-commitment, etc., etc., blah blah blah, whine, whine, whine. But now that summer is here I will try to fit a little posting and commenting in here and there.

So I did a little project this morning ala The Nester and her window mistreatments inspiration. This is the window in my laundry room. It's so boring I could fall asleep right there on the spot. I was going to take the blinds down and tack some fabric on instead, but I didn't want to spend any money on upholstery tacks. So I used what I had. I was in Calico Corners Outlet (Oh yeah, I just happened to drive by this store when we were cruising through Amish country in PA and I made Mr. Jones stop) and I saw that their valances/blinds were all on little board frames that stuck out of the wall, so I had an idea.
My blinds stick right out of the door just like CC's valance frames, so I just broke out the glue gun and glued some fabric right on that bad boy.
I glued it across the top and then folded and glued again on the sides, like this:

I used a bigger piece of fabric that I folded in half, and I hot glued the seam so it wouldn't show. Then I hot glued some scrap trim I picked up at CC Outlet. Look at how crooked and imperfect it is.
Then, I just got some big safety pins and pinned the pleats in the back. All done. So easy. So fast. If you look up close you will find all kinds of things wrong with it, but who's going to be inspecting window coverings in my laundry room?!! My family will notice right away, of course, because you know they use this room to do laundry and get cleaning supplies all the time. Not really. I'm glad I didn't wait until I had time to sew perfect blinds. Cuz it would have stayed like the first picture for a few more years.
So the finished product is great because I still have the blinds and can actually close them if I care to. I probably won't though.

Here is something else from my laundry room. I stuck one of those tool peg boards from The Home Depot on the wall to hold my stuff. Apparently you are supposed to put two boards on the wall and mount it to that, but I didn't. I just stuck it right to the wall. I drive Mr. Jones nuts with all the horrible things I do to our walls.

Here's a closeup of the rooster hook that really doesn't hold anything. It just looks cute.


And here's a picture of what my laundry room floor looks like. Just keepin' it real. In case you thought I was clean or organized or something.

I took one more look at the final product, and thought my thrift store lamp might look great in there. A little ambiance while I'm working. I'm worth it.

34 comments:

The Nester said...

FANTASTIC!!!!

you know I adore that fabric and the bloggie wall paper is to die for! I want fabric like that too!

Tiffany said...

You know you are on to something when Nester links to you. I love the mistreatment, lamp, everything. It looks great! Did you glue the peg board to the wall??? You are one brave woman. I'm afraid of commitment. Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

Dont'cha love the inspiring things the nester teaches us? I love your window project. I'm about to mistreat the big window in my kitchen next week (hopefully). I'll be sure to post pictures of the before and after! Thanks for sharing!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Very cute, Heather! Welcome back, btw...looks great. I'm working on a little treatment similar to that too in my masterbath.

You just can't beat that toile!

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

While I love your adorable window mistreatment...it's the tool-peg-board repurposed to the laundry room that has me excited! Thanks for sharing!!! :)
Oh..and I came here from the nester...but I'll be back!

katylinvw said...

i love it! i love it so much that i'm going to completely copy the idea! (hope you don't mind :>) i'll give you full credit!

Heathahlee said...

I'm so glad to see you again! And I want to do the exact same thing for my bathroom window. With the same kind of fabric, no less. Only blue toile instead of black. I have in my mind exactly what fabric I want, but needed this post to show me how to do it! Thanks and I hope to see more from you!

Mrs. Jones said...

Songbirdtiff and Sheryl~I didn't glue the board to the wall, I actually used 4 drywall screws, and just left them hanging out a little so there was some space between the wall and the board. I love this peg board stuff. I've used it in a couple other places in my house. I'll do a post in the next week showing you what else I did.

Katy lin~Good luck with your project. I appreciate the credit, but I must be honest - I *completely* copied Nester on this one. I can't wait to see your finished product!

Free Art Printables said...

Hey, Nice to have you back!!! Missed ya! Jen R

Brian and Staci said...

Wow! I came over from The Nester's! Looks great! Can't wait to read more...but right now I have 2 little ones who are wanting a snack :) Your blog is beautiful...so is your family :) Gonna be tough keepin' up with you Joneses! Oops...now I really gotta run...just spilled my blueberry pineapple smoothie allll over the keyboard! Yikes! (At least my kids aren't right here to see Mommy had stuff to eat or drink around the computer :O) Rut Roh!

Robin said...

looks wonderful! Welcome back!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Hey, that looks great! And not only is it a great example of a window mistreatment, it is a "creative concealment"! Come on by my blog and if you want to link up Monday, we are showing our creative ways to conceal uglies! I would say this is a perfect example!!! You are a genius!

Glad you're back!
xoxo

Oliver's said...

So clever, just found your blog, very sweet, Paula

Tabitha said...

Niiiiice!! I love that you just glued it right on--awesome! And I love the lamp--I may hafta do that. Thanks for "keeping it real." It's always encouraging!!

Anonymous said...

I love that fabric.. I would have never thought to put a lamp in my laundry room. I like it.. Makes it kinda cozy.. Love your blog.. Take care, Susie H~

Anonymous said...

So glad that you are back! I wish my laundry room was a cute as yours is!

Nancy Hood said...

Yep, came here from The Nester and I love what you did with the door window!! It rocks!! I've always kept a small 'candle' light in my laundry (Kirklands has oodles!) and it won't be so big as to draw the eye to the shelves. And don't you just loooove the warmth of a light at night?!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Glad to have found you. The treatment is great, and I have a little lamp sitting in the closet, think I'll put some paint on it, and give it a try. Stop by some time.

Kristen said...

Came over via Nester, I love your black toile - your window looks fantastic and if anyone is in there long enough to be inspecting they should be loading up the washing machine as well!!

angela | the painted house said...

I'm so impressed! It looks great!

Trixi said...

I too, linked over from the nester. I am so inspired. You did a great job and I love the peg board thingy. I have just the wall in my laundry room for one of those.
Blessings,
Trixi

Bonita said...

If I didn't know better I'd think Nester herself did it. That black toile is just beautiful! It certainly livened up the window. The peg board is a great idea too and I'll have to remember it if I ever have a real laundry room (ours is in the utility room outside at present). I especially liked the dirty laundry because it made me feel right at home!

Amber said...

I just found your blog through the Nester. Love the mistreatment! Of course I love the toile. I desperately need to cover my laundry room window...we'll see what comes of that! I've enjoyed looking at your posts...I'll definitely be adding you to my blog roll and visiting often! :)

Trish said...

Woo-hoo to infinity!!!!!! Mrs. Jones is blogging again! You have given me a reason to smile today!!! Well, that -- and also your great idea with the hot glue curtains. My porch has 25 windows with those stick-out blind thingies...Now I know how to make them look pretty! So glad you are back! xoxoxox

Martha said...

OH!!! I've missed my pal!!!!!!!!!!

How cute and creative are YOU?

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Thanks for linking up your Creative Concealment (which doubles as a mistreatment! LOL!) You hit the nail on the head with this little project! You are famous now! No more blogging breaks for you, you are in demand for creative ideas...

Happy day,
Melissa

Laura said...

OK. I thought you were having awfully loooong computer troubles!
Love the mistreatment! It look sfabulous!

Teresa said...

I'm glad I stopped by...I'm was in need of that idea- perfect- Love the fabric also.

Unknown said...

Those are my kind of solutions and thanks for keeping it real!

Penny said...

First of all, welcome back to blogland! I have missed seeing what great projects you are doing around the house.

Your laundry room looks great!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I love LOVE both of those ideas!! Looks awesome!

Tracey said...

I'm so glad the Nester sent me over here. I have this exact ugly looking door w/blinds in my house...only it's not hidden in the laundry room. Now maybe I will finally dress that door up. I just never knew what to do with it.

Nice to see you again Mrs. Jones!

Thrifty Cents said...

OOOOH! I love this! I hardly know how to sew a button on, so I'm loving the hot glue gun ideas!

Unknown said...

Where have you been young lady? :) I have kept you on my sidebar on my computer and kept hoping you would come back. Looks like you've been busy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...